Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dream or Dare by Sashi

Note: 4th grader, Sashi, completed this story in the Winter Writers Workshop. Great job, Sashi!
Dream or Dare
by Sashi

Serena fell to her knees and kissed the ground. She remained there for a while, soaking up the win she worked so hard to achieve. The atmosphere was electric. She was euphoric. Moments like this had to be savoured. The trophy presentation was what she had been waiting for, years of practice had finally paid off.
Nine-year-old Mia worked her way through the crowds onto the tennis courts. It was her lucky moment to be photographed with Serena, her idol, a prize she had won through the local paper. The first thing that came to her mind was immediately to ask her how did she do it? And how could Mia do it?

Mia loved tennis and had found comfort in the game. It was her second home and the familiarity of the courts gave her the confidence to improve and dedicate her spare time to tennis. But right now she wanted to know: How do you become a real champion? Her idol was standing in front of her.

Serena smiled knowingly, she recognised the passion and hunger in Mia’s eyes.
She began talking to Mia. Serena was physically there, but her mind was back on the warm southern coast of Portugal, where she had spent her first ten years.

Times were tough, she said. There were few luxuries but there was always good, wholesome food on the table and a small TV was the only modern technology the family shared. Dad wanted the best for us and he was an avid follower of sports. One day, he showed up with a tennis racket he had bought through the village auction.

Serena, look what I have for you! He exclaimed excitedly whilst holding the surprise behind his back. Serena raced to see him and pulled the racket from behind him. She laughed, what do I know about tennis? What I know, said dad, is that tennis opens up opportunities. There are trophies and lots of crowds involved. Sounds good doesn’t it?

Well I guess there is no harm in trying, I said, and it sounds like fun. That afternoon we headed to the local courts and that was the day I never looked back. It felt good. I felt free running around that court, tripped up a few times, missed most of the balls my dad threw at me, but it always felt good.

We continued this routine, day after day. After my dad came home from work, we would head straight to the court and spent hours together until the sun went down and we could barely see the ball anymore. I improved and kept improving. My dad said I was a natural but that’s typical of dads. They love to encourage so I didn’t think much of his comments. We kept on hitting together.

I missed playdates and parties to go and hit with my dad, I felt a magnetic pull to the courts and did not feel complete without spending some time each day playing.
Lessons were still an extravagance but we both knew that it was the next step if I was to move forward.

I came home from school one day and called out to my parents that we needed to talk. My sports teacher at school had told me there were grants for people in my situation and we need to apply now. This is what I want to dedicate my life to so let’s make it work, I said. My parents grinned, they could see my passion and soon we were filling in the paperwork.

It must have been the longest week of my life waiting for the reply to come back but finally the letter arrived. I was on the courts the next day with my first coach who was tough on me. It was different to playing with my dad. I didn’t expect it to be this tough but I knew that this was going to be expected of me. My intention was one way – all the way to the top.

A month later my coach pulled my dad to the side, Serena is moving quickly, but she needs to move quicker. My advice is home schooling if she is to start entering major tournaments. Shocked at first, my dad did not know how to react but deep down this is what he already knew. Serena, are you ready for this? he asked me. This requires even more discipline and strength. Are you ready?

Mia heard her own Dad calling her name amongst the crowd and Serena’s excited voice. She wanted to ignore him but knew they had to rush. There was a tennis lesson booked for 5pm. She thanked Serena quickly, but was not sure if she had heard her. Serena was still lost in her memorable thoughts.

This is what it takes to be a champion Mia thought and satisfied walked away to find her dad.

1 comment: